Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let's keep it in context

What is this "Pockets" thing all about?

Well, in my travels I have picked up a handful of foreign languages. I have, at one time or another, been tested as native-level fluent in all but one of the languages I studied.

One day, while traveling on company business on the other side of the world, a friend asked me what a particular word meant. Silly me, I assumed this friend was talking about a Persian word. Without really thinking, I said what the word was in Persian: "Pockets." Actually the word was "pocket" but I made plural when I translated.

I was then able to see the context of the word. I have no idea what language it was. Most likely a Philippine dialect (not Illocano as that was one of my languages). To say the least, the odds of that word meaning "pockets" are about as slim as my sprouting wings and flying off with a herd of pigs.

For the rest of my time with that organization, I was known as "Pockets."

No comments:

Post a Comment