Monday, July 27, 2009

A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Large Steaming Vat of Sewage Go Down

Here is a letter I just sent to Republican Whip Eric Cantor. Even though he is a big light rail guy, I am proud to call him my representative.


I would like to start by praising your excellent work in the House. Fighting the cap-and-trade was certainly a difficult battle. Too bad a few Republicans thought that there was a way to sweeten that pile.

That gets to the theme of this letter: No matter how much sugar you use, a vat of sewage is still a vat of sewage. Little add-ins here and there to sweeten the deal on bad legislation will result in more bad legislation.

And now the purpose of this letter: health care. The Dems have been running ads against you for some vote you made against health care reform. I say, "Thank you Mr. Cantor for having the courage to say 'No' to bad legislation."

This health care catastrophe that the President and the Democrats are trying to force down our throats (and exempt themselves from at the same time) is a large steaming vat of sewage. They will promise little (or big) add-ins to make it more palatable. But remember, no matter how much sugar you pour into it, it will still be a vat of sewage.

So, please fight to have all Republicans (and as many Democrats as possible) continue to vote "NO" against any health care reform package.

I personally fear any "fix" from Washington. They always have high-handed approaches with severe unintended consequences. That is why I beg you to fight for a solid "NO."

Remember, if someone approaches you with a bad idea, it is a bad idea. There is no half-way to a bad idea, whether it is doing drugs, getting pregnant, or voting for bad legislation.

Thank you,
Frank Doss

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the saying, "There's no right way to do a wrong thing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. MichaelD: I was talking to a friend about this today. I said, regarding the "meet us half way" comments: Imagine someone came to you saying they wanted to slash both of your wrists. Of course, you would say "NO." But then he would come back with, "Can't you meet me half way and slash only one wrist?"

    ReplyDelete